First Things First
Before we start with the measuring, lay down the garment on a flat hard surface and smooth out any wrinkles.
Steps to Measure a Skirt:
- Waist: Measure along the waist, make sure its laying flat on the ground when taking this measurement.
- Hip: This is the widest part of the hip, Measurement is taken approximately 7–9 inches (ca. 15-23 cm) below the natural waistline. The measurement is taken from side to side directly at the hip line
- Length: The length measurement is obtained from the top of the waist line to the bottom of the hemline.
- Hem: This is length of the flare of your skirt. Flare is the bottom wide length of your dress.
Pro Tip: If you are selling clothing online, sign up for the free size chart creator.
Tips for Taking Measurements:
- Take all measurements lying flat. Do this on a clean floor or table. Hanging clothes can stretch as you measure and if you have them on a dress model of a different size this can skew your measurement.
- Use a flexible tape measure at least 36″ long. Don’t try to take clothes measurements with standard 12″ ruler you’ll end up with an inaccurate measurement. If you have no tape measurement handy and this is somewhat of an emergency, you can always download a printable measuring online.
- Measure twice! If you don’t get the same measurement both times try again.
- Record measurement to the nearest ¼ inch. Anything more specific is irrelevant but remember lying flat measurements are generally doubled (e.g. lying flat waist of 12.5″ can be understood as a 25″ waist) so a ¼ inch could make a difference.
- Take measurements when you’re taking photos. Trying to measure as your listing at your desk ends up taking a lot more time and energy moving back and forth between tasks.
Create Accurate Measurement Templates in Seconds
Start creating Free Templates Now.
A quick and easy way of sharing measurements online, Sizely works on any platform and it takes seconds to generate a sizing template.
- Increase sales & reduce returns at the same time
- Works on any platform such as eBay, Poshmark, Etsy & more.
- Over 180+ Templates across all categories
- Imperial and metric system support
- Save, edit & share measurements in seconds
Selling Clothing Online?
Solve the Size Issue & Create Size Charts that Reduce Returns and Keep Your Customers Happy. Used by Over 35,000 Sellers Worldwide on Platforms such as eBay, Poshmark, Amazon, Shopify & More.
GET MORE TIPS LIKE THIS IN YOUR INBOX
Sign up for our newsletter and get monthly seller tips & tricks.
(No spam, we promise)